Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Account of an anonymous Software Engineer!

A software engineer today enters the corporate world with a lot of zeal, enthusiasm and expectations. But what he doesn't know is that reality is too ugly for him to look at.... i was lucky enough to be on bench for just 2 weeks, i have a few colleagues of mine who have been on bench for more than 4 moths now. Yes 4 months, and once i saw a HR manager and PM talkin to them, and wondered if this is what they would be thinking in reality?
Project Manager (PM): I got another set of rookies today, I am just wondering if I would go crazy someday handling these set of ignorant chaps who think of themselves nothing less than Dennis Ritchie. I handed over a few problems to code which they can fiddle around for at least a week; at least by then I can live peacefully. The HR managers are just pile on for company like ours, how the hell will these people “motivate” somebody, for I know these people would be rendered virtually jobless for coming many months. Untill a few of them actually some down on knees, literally crying asking me for something meaningful and useful, no damn HR in this world can make them happy. And once they get it, they never need a HR anyway, so why pay fat salaries to them? This company will come to a stand still, if we do not put our brains on creating these “fiddling toys of code” for these engineers.

Human Resource Manager (HR): Good, I have a new set of “guinea pigs” to experiment upon. It has been long time since I have experimented, the old theory of “Sweet Talks and give no thoughts” seems to be known to lot many people. Now that the old employees already know my strategy of “listening, considering and forgetting “about things, it’s a must to use these rookies to fullest, hopefully they come with a lot of problems with their PM’s on which I can capitalize. With these many rookies I can always fall back to my old strategy and keep them hanging for a long time, while trying out new permutations to make a fool out of everyone around. I just wonder why they need a PM for these guys, I mean a HR is good enough to fool people; we have strategies which even work on old horses, forget about these new chimps. This company will come to a stand still if we people are not there; time and again they have fallen back on us and used our “mass fooling techniques” to save their company.
Now i do not wonder who is making the IT tick in india..............

No comments: